Friday, March 23, 2012

Heart Set on The Portland Company

We went to a Brew Fest held at The Portland Company this past summer and I fell in love with the space.  It is made up of a bunch of old brick warehouses right near the water on Fore Street as you drive towards the East End.  I emailed and got a quick response with more info about renting out rooms.

The Portland Company building layout

Their choices for rooms are:

Rustic Room – street level with old-fashioned charm in Building #3 for $600
-This is described by them to hold 200 for a banquet and 300 for a reception, however when speaking with Joanna from The Portland Company, this room has a lot of 1/2 walls so it's "not good for a reception" and "doesn't have enough room."



Designer Room -- Unique room, few windows, all brick in Building #11 for $600
-This is described as able to hold 290 for a banquet and 400 for a reception, however Joanna discouraged this room as well saying that it is carpeted and has very few windows.



Room With A View -- Rustic elegance overlooking the Portland Harbor Waterfront in Building #6 $900
-Varnished floor and brick walls
-This room is said to hold 110 for a banquet or 200 for a reception.  When I mentioned that we would have 150 and would be happy to change to more of a cocktail type reception, I was told that it would be too crowded.

Room with a View


This only left...

The Blue Room -- Warehouse style accommodations in Building #2 for $1,500
-Blue walls and a grey painted floor
-This room can hold 480 for a banquet and 900 for a reception.

The Blue Room

Unfortunately this room is out of our price range, especially considering absolutely NOTHING comes with these prices.  We would still have to rent tables and chairs, a PA system (which they offer for $200 extra), one of their employees ($35/hour), a bartender, a caterer, and get liability insurance!


Overall, I love these buildings but the only room we could fit in is way out of our price range.




2 comments:

  1. I got married in the Room with a View and had my reception in the large room. Its a LOT of work and the owners arent too easy to work with. You cant be there until 8am (and they were late to let us in) and you have to be out (EVERYTHING OUT) by midnight. Its a real challenge but it really was beautiful and so worth all the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that interesting because I'm having my wedding there this year combining both rooms...and my contract says I can be there as late as I like *(still paying hourly for their service person) as long as I stop serving alcohol according to Maine State Law and clean up everything afterwards. I don't plan to be there that late, but technically, I can be. It's a beautiful space and I can't wait to utilize it.

    ReplyDelete